Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sky Vs Virgin Media - broadband ... Or should it be Virgin Vs BT?

Ignoring the battle over the channels (major fan of a couple of the shows on it) all I really want is the Internet, but the packages looked better value than just internet packages. My wife needs to phone Mexico (VOIP) and I need to be able to do a little work at home.

So I compared the costs (and even wrote a free broadband comparison table for the site) simply to work out what I wanted and as it turned out, Sky seemed to be the best one for me... Well, that was over a month ago and whilst the maths hasn't changed the lack of broadband for me has changed my opinion somewhat.

I can't really blame Sky, but the 16mb I wanted wouldn't be available as I am too far from the exchange, though 8mb will be great, and after BT came around to 're-fit' the telephone line (not an immaculate job in a newish house) it turned out that a problem at the exchange meant that I wouldn't have broadband for a further month...

Had I known, the maths for Virgin would have looked better. I spoke at length to Sky who (without actually saying it) implied that fighting with BT seemed to be a daily job for the Easynet team who actually manage Sky Broadband.

Despite all this, I think a break from the Internet is probably doing me good ... and I can still MSN on my mobile (through Three)

No comments: