Monday, October 08, 2007

Web 2.0 and upwards ...

The next generation of the internet will be the seamless one, today was kinda a revolution for me – it was almost the pinnacle of web 2.0 in fact I would almost say web 2.1, my dad called me via skype – I answered it on my mobile using a combination of 3g, VOIP and the classic standard old voice network. Three have a solution that allows calls to be routed straight to your phone but your presence on the network requires you to login via an application which communicates using 3g data. Complicated? Well the point is that it was seamless, if I wasn’t a geek I would have no idea where the internet ended, and more to the point I wouldn’t have cared. Three have made it possible people to not worry about where the internet ends…

It won’t be long before more and more devices are so seamlessly connected that your cars satnav will know you want to go somewhere, checked the directions, traffic weather, good places to stop (knows you’re a vegetarian so consulted the vegetarians guide to the M4) even checked the local petrol prices (and knows how much it will need, how much it has) after you clicked send to car from which ever device your choosing to look at the route (if only to see how long it will take you).

As your driving to your grandmas, she can glance (with your permission) at your progress and even knows your stuck in traffic, as you get close enough she will know to put on the kettle.

After you have left to go home, as you near your own house – your kettle switches on, knowing you will want a coffee and that there is sufficient water in the house for you and your partner – your heating switched on 20 minutes before as it had decided that their was no point in heating a cold house.

When I can go into the kitchen, watch a cooking video streamed after it helps me prepare “as I do it”

So why is it that I accredit Three for being the company driving it? Simple, X-series, whilst this is a package that’s been around for a while now, it’s a comprehensive step forward, its not perfect but its taking the best of breed innovative online products and taking them to a new platform. Most people have heard of Skype, but Slingbox and Orb? Slingbox gives you access to your home TV (including Sky), Orb gives you not just access to your home computer files, but if your geeky enough you can even have a home security system you can log into at any time. For more info checkout http://3mobileshop.at/Usable


On a web 2.0 issue:

I received a message today from a musician, thanking me for listening to their music, I think they were thanking everyone who was listening to their songs – but they made contact via Last.FM which records what I listen to, suggest new tracks and connects me to thousands of other music enthusiasts

No comments: